John Petrucci - Suspended Animation CD (album) cover

John Petrucci

2 stars This is not a bad album at all. Yes, I know he is one of great guitarists and I enjoy his work with Dream Theater but I don't expect him to have this kind of album which over show his technical skills. Any guitar player must learn from Steve Hackett or Roine Stolt (of The Flower Kings). The latter always make albums that do not over use their skills in guitars. They use other people's skills in their own roles such as Roine Stolt using alto sax and keyboard players to create rich textures of his music in "The Flower King" album (see my review on this one at this site - it's a masterpiece!). But "Suspended Animation" is nothing different with those albums of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani. I don't intend to demean their skills and virtuosities but over using it into their solo albums do not fit into my musical taste. For me, this album is like Petrucci telling the other musicians (drummer and bass player): "Folks, you just play the rhythm part - I'll play all melodies! Don't go any further, Okay?". The result is a very boring record that did not attract me to purchase at all. By the way, I got this CD on loan basis from my colleague progger Rizal. Having listened to four tracks (and some skimming of next tracks) of this album I conclude there is nothing special about the album but Petrucci's demonstration of his virtuosities. I admit he's a great guitar player but for this album his composition is weak. So, I guess this album is only suitable for those completionist. Two stars would serve well, I think. I'd rather listen to his work with Dream Theater or his previous collaborative work with Jordan Rudess. You are the final judge. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW