King Crimson - Three Of A Perfect Pair CD (album) cover

King Crimson

3 stars This is the third album under "New" King Crimson where since they released "discipline", the new line-up embarked on totally new different concept. Some people blame the addition of Adrian Belew made King Crimson music poppier. This is proved by Adrian Belew's song-oriented material on the album's first side. But some people reckoned that Belew has helped revitalized the King Crimson sound to keep up with recent development of prog music. Remember, at the time new wave and punk were sweeping music industry. To my ears, "Three of A Perfect Pair" and "Beat" are replicas of "Discipline" (the band's debut with new line-up).

The instrumental track "Industry" came into my attention when I watched the Live in Japan laser disc because I can see how the band plays it and I spin back my CD to have another listen which I enjoy very much - provided good circumstances. What I mean with "good circumstances" is the right time to enjoy silent music - probably during midnight. "Dig Me", the track immediately following, is no less incredible -- with words written by Belew about an abandoned auto wreck. It might be a good illustration of how pop touches can be almost completely presented. "No Warning" represents another breakthrough into untapped territory. "Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part III" is something free-form material especially in the opening guitar solo. "Three Of A Perfect Pair" and "Sleepless" are excellent pop songs with unique bass lines by Levin. "Sleepless" contains multi-layered instrumentation.

It's not best Crimson album but if you love the band, it's must having it. I just upgraded my CD into a remastered replica version. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW