Rain Tree Crow - Rain Tree Crow CD (album) cover

RAIN TREE CROW

Rain Tree Crow

Dobermensch
3 stars Bahh! I remember being SO disappointed when I first heard this in '91. 'Rain Tree Crow' sound nothing like 'Japan' whatsoever. However, it has grown on me over the years in the same way that Talk Talk's last two albums have. In fact if you swapped vocalists you'd be hard pushed to tell which band is which.

On the downside Richard Barbieri is relegated to the sidelines, pushed into a corner and unable to deliver what I know he could have done. 'Rain Tree Crow sounds more like a Sylvian solo album circa 'Dead Bees on a Cake' than a joint venture with his 'Japan' pals. It seems to me that he had something of a domineering personality when it came to recording. That's not to say that this recording is a failure, far from it. It's just that I expected more of a band effort.

The once European Western then Eastern pop sound has well and truly vanished forever. This one sounds more 'cactus and cowboy'.

Fans of the last years of 'Talk Talk' will love this to bits. Guaranteed.

Dobermensch | 3/5 |