Emerson Lake & Palmer - Emerson Lake & Palmer CD (album) cover

Emerson Lake & Palmer

4 stars 4.3

With a lot of piano, this album makes for a marvellous debut revolving around the bands founder, Keith Emerson. Track one, 'The Barbarian', is not one of my favourites, being really quite dark and almost noisy in parts. 'Take a Pebble' is one of the best tracks on the album, starting eerie strokes of the piano strings and trilling swoops of the keyboard over the sound of Lake's vocals. This develops into a brilliant track. 'Knife Edge' is another of my favourites, with almost catchy vocals. Great use of keyboards and drums and effective tempo change. 'Tank' is not to my taste, as it appears that everything other than the skilful drum solo was added afterwards. This filler sounds silly and is definitely the lowest point of the album in my opinion. 'Luck Man' is a very enjoyable listen with good lyrics, but is generally musically uneventful. (I do like, however, the strange synthesiser noises.)

Overall this is a very good album with some jazzy and classical fringes and earned a welcomed position in my collection

ProgHappy | 4/5 |