Anathema - Weather Systems CD (album) cover

WEATHER SYSTEMS

Anathema

Experimental/Post Metal

Legit
5 stars After reading over it, this review sounds pretty cheesy but it's honesty how I feel. So just read it.

I don't know what drew me to this album. I had never listened to an Anathema album ever before, and I had never been particularly interested in the mellow, accessible type of music that I expected this album to sound like. But one day when I wanted to get away from the technicality and progressive nature of my usual music playlist, I decided to take a chance by listening to this album.

I was enlightened.

That's an understatement, even, because this album changed how I view music. Like many prog fans, I am fascinated with the experimental and technical tendencies of progressive metal. I believed that the immense talent and creativity of prog musicians overshadowed all else. When I heard this album, I realized there was another aspect of music that I often overlooked - emotion. And I'm not talking about the cheesy-pop-love-song type of emotion. This album produced the type of emotion that when, after feeling it, all you can do it is sit back and get lost in the rush. Sure, insane time signature changes are cool, but the heartwarming and inspiring feeling you get from listening to Anathema's Weather Systems is unparalleled.

Not everyone will feel the overwhelming emotions that this album evoked within me, but I do recommend for everyone to try it out. Don't try to analyze the music, because there is little deviation from a set sound and song structure. Instead just listen. Feel the pure emotion contained within. These feelings cannot be found through any other band or album I've heard; this album is the epitome of emotion. You will hopefully find that this album is truly a masterpiece of music, not for its complexity or originality, but for its heartfelt emotional impact on its listeners.

Legit | 5/5 |