Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion CD (album) cover

STORM CORROSION

Storm Corrosion

Starhammer
3 stars Strangely addictive...

Storm Corrosion is the third part of a trilogy of albums which also contains Steven Wilson's 'Grace For Drowning' and Opeth's 'Heritage'. The hype which surrounded it was unbelievable, months of teasing from the record label with no real samples, and quotes being bandied about like "instant masterpiece" and "incomparable, a new genre".

This is the second time I have written this review, this time less complimentary. Although I still very much enjoy Storm Corrosion, I have a few problems with it. The style is quite hard to classify but it can be generally split into emotive, minimalistic sections and abrasive, experimental sections. These experimental snapshots remind me of the closing moments from some of the tracks from Opeth's Watershed and are very cool. The problem for me is that they are too sporadic and often provide a singular highlight for a particular song. For example, the juddering cut-out of the title track, the muffled drum fill on Hag and the electronic distortion on Happy. I always look forward to these moments, but often at the expense of the rest of the track. You could argue that a lot of post rock/metal/whatever is composed in a similar vein but it is the stark contract here which can make "everything else" feel like frustrating waffle.

In addition, the more consistent songs are perhaps too consistent, both Drag Ropes and Lock Howl start strongly, but border on monotonous before they reprise. In fact the only song that I love from start to finish is the magnificent Ljudet Innan.

The Verdict: Decent enough but hardly earth-shattering.

Starhammer | 3/5 |