Porcupine Tree - Deadwing CD (album) cover

Porcupine Tree

3 stars Being a PT fan for a while, needless to say I was restless to buy this album. The first 20 spins were ecstatic, but I took a break from listening to it, and guess what, it didn't sound as good at all when I listened to it later. Sure there are excellent songs and moments (tracks like Deadwing, Arriving Somewhere but not here, Open Car and Mellotron scratch for example), but overall, it's probably the least creative effort from Wilson and PT. Tool influences showing more and more (I know, everyone has influences). I prefer In Absentia (both albums have a similar approach), but I find I miss the more psychedelic offerings (Sky Moves Sideways, Signify and even Stupid Dream). Not a bad album, but definitely not their best. The first dissapointment, and, I hope, the last.
Melomaniac | 3/5 |