Amazing Blondel - Blondel (The Purple Album)  CD (album) cover

BLONDEL (THE PURPLE ALBUM)

Amazing Blondel

Prog Folk

Joolz
3 stars This is a very 'Up' album - a collection of simple happy, smiley acoustic folky songs led by acoustic guitars with the 'medieval' instrumentation taking a back seat, though still present. For some reason I am always reminded of Harvey Andrews, circa mid-70s, when I hear this album!

Even on CD, the album is essentially presented as two distinct 'sides'. Chapter 1 is mostly full band arrangements for the songs, separated by short-ish section of orchestral drones. Favourite is the singalong Young Man's Fancy. Chapter 2 works best for me with songs written in a more traditional style and mostly without the bass/drums rhythm section which tends to give it a lighter feel, and also without the orchestral linking sections. Favourite tracks are Sailing pushed along by the guitars with some string and harpsichord accompaniment; the faux-traditional Festival; and the street theatre of Weaver's Market which includes Paul Rodgers on vocals amongst others.

I can see no relevance to Prog, but I have always loved it, so I am loathe to give it less than 3 stars. If you like acoustic guitars in a folky singer-songwriter vein then you should give this a try, and at 39 minutes it clearly doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Joolz | 3/5 |