Budgie - Squawk CD (album) cover

SQUAWK

Budgie

Gatot
3 stars This is another seventies band that I rarely paid attention at that time as I always compared it with another rock trio like Triumph, Grand Funk and Rush because in general they were alike in terms of instrument components: drum, guitar and bass. Of course I could not compare with ELP as it's drums - bass - keyboard. At first listen I was associated directly to the kind of Triumph music as the music they made was quite straight forward. I only knew this band when one of their song I Ain't No Mountain was one of rock favorites in my city of Madiun, Indonesia. Later I knew their other popular track like Breadfan.

This album offers similar in term of style what the band has typically made, i.e power rock trio that rely in itself in guitar solo backed with basslines and drumming. The second track Rocking Man is an interesting rock instrumental with good combination of guitar, bass and drums for most part of the track and only having vocal line at the ending part. Hot as a Docker's Armpit is also another good track.

Even though it's not something proggy, this band was one of the rock acts in the seventies that had their own fans base. For some reason I was much liking Triumph than this band. But it's OK for a change - sometimes. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW