Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet CD (album) cover

FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET

Porcupine Tree

Argonaught
5 stars In my humble and poorly educated opinion, this album is as flawless as an album could ever get. It's certainly the pinnacle of the PT evolution as well. The Incident surely also is an excellent concept album, but not quite on par with the FOABP.

Why flawless:

1. Immaculate musicianship. There is not a single riff, passage, chord or sound out of place or of less than excellent quality (if it weren't so, I doubt Mr. Lifeson and Mr. Fripp would have been interested in guesting on this album). 2. Sophisticated, complex and heavy (at times), but nowhere near as chaotic or frenetic as some of the best ELP, King Crimson or early Yes. Therefore, VERY EASY to listen to. 3. No fillers. All 80 minutes is solid, meaningful, sterling music (we have the 2LP version). 4. Relevant, sharp, to-the-point lyrics. No fillers here either 5. Exemplary quality of recording and sound engineering. 6. Great variety of musical delicacies and flavors, in an organic combination - not just an eclectic collection 7. 'Anesthetize' is 18' of pure pleasure 8. I have already mentioned the outstanding musicianship ... which would be an understatement if you look at the drumming. Mr. Harrison is second only maybe to Mr. Peart in terms of music-weaving gift and sheer stamina. 9. Best concept album in prog rock category, period.

The only thing I don't like on it is Let's Sleep Together. I understand why it's there, and why it's relevant for the narrative of the album, but still I don't quite like it.

Argonaught | 5/5 |