Sigur Rs - Me Su  Eyrum Vi Spilum Endalaust CD (album) cover

ME SU EYRUM VI SPILUM ENDALAUST

Sigur Rs

Post Rock/Math rock

Argonaught
2 stars Nothing against Sigur Ros, but I am not sure how they made it into the Progressive Rock category. I had always thought that rock's hallmarks were rhythm, structure and texture, as a minimum.

Most of the Sigur Ros output is just loosely arranged .... er ... collection of sounds. Not necessarily unpleasant, but not too stimulating either. Too many of their songs sound as if a guy was pushing random keys on his synthesizer with his left hand, with a brick sitting on the sustain pedal, while petting a cat (or Facebookin on a smart phone ... or doing a sudoku puzzle ) with his right hand.

Bottom line: it's not really rock.

Neither can you really call it "progressive". The word "progressive" points at innovation, momentum, breaking the mold, search for new horizons, evolution and growth. The only growth Sigur Ros promotes in me is that of the mold and lichen behind my ears.

Argonaught | 2/5 |