Dredg - Catch Without Arms CD (album) cover

Equality 7-2521
3 stars When critics would try to suggest that truly inventive, enjoyable, progressive music that captured one's attention like that produced in the 70's has ceased to exist, I would mention Dredg as an example that thinking of that nature is simply not true. However, the fail to prove my point on this release.

A repeat of the full, surging atmospheres of El Cielo had obviously not occurred, nor a return to the Tool influenced metal of Leitmoff. Instead we have something much different, which I do respect, however the result is a jump to what is better described as alternative rock than prog. Though with that said there is some very good music to be found on this release. Gavin's voice is heavenly as on previous albums and perfectly melds with the flow of the songs. I'm especially impressed with the drum work here and I note influences by Carrey and Burdford. But on most tracks the guitar screams uninspired Smashing Pumpkins alternative rock.

Lyrically though they once again are trying to express something far too grand for the limited lyrical ability they posses, but they do provide a few interesting parallel structures such as "Look what I have found, a seashell in a sea of shells.

A solid release to pick up, especially if you're already a fan of their material, but it won't bring any shame if it's missing in your collection.

Equality 7-2521 | 3/5 |