Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34  CD (album) cover

VOYAGE 34

Porcupine Tree

wm235
2 stars This was the first porcupine tree album I bought and it nearly put me off them entirely. To begin with, as a fan of pink floyd 'phase 1' was annoying with a riff identical to on the wall, the major problem though was lack of substance beyond that, thre wasn't much else but this repeating riff.

As an album there are some nice moments and nice sounds, but there just wasn't enough, many of the songs sounded to me like a 'lemon jelly' song stretched over 10 minutes . I found nothing really gripped me or did anything particularily interesting. As an album with no lryrics beyond samples it really needs to bring more interest into the music. At points it sounds very floydian but not in a way that sounded to me original.

This album to me should be stuck on in the backgound if your chatting, theres nice sounds and moments but nothing that will really grip you and suck you into the song.

Its probably worth me mentioning I generally like music thats trippy but i didn't find this was, it was sort of blurry with references to LSD but the music didn't give me any major highs, lows, painful or elated feelings or generally 'take you away' as I would have liked.

| 2/5 |