Sean Malone - Cortlandt CD (album) cover

CORTLANDT

Sean Malone

dagrush
4 stars Cortlandt is a very good debut album. Surprising that this only has one review so far. Of course, that review pretty much sums it all up about this album, so maybe it is understandable. I'd say the best track is probably Giant Steps or Controversy.

I disagree with what the description for this album says: "be warned that it doesn't serve as a 'prequel' to Gordian Knot". I think it is a prequel to Gordian Knot. It's less on the metal side and more on the jazz side, but there are a lot of similarities between this debut and the other band. Fis(c)her's Gambit comes to mind to start, anyway.

Any fan of great bass playing (or rhythm sections in general) should pick this one up. I would add plain old Malone fans like myself, but then we fall into the previous groups already. Four stars.

dagrush | 4/5 |