Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery CD (album) cover

Emerson Lake & Palmer

4 stars I used to laugh at "Brain Salad Surgery", but finally I have actually learned to like it. The learning phenomenon about some albums is quite fashinating, but you never know in advance it you will be rewarded for your patience. Parts of this album is so tecnical that I found it hard to see the soul in it (but I guess that's ELP). Keeping the theoretical aspects aside (many other reviewers have splendid descriptions of this) it's a pleasant trip. It's fun! It's unique! ...and it IS in fact rather soulful! I still think "Trilogy" and "Tarkus" are slightly better albums, but "Brain Salad Surgery" is fashinating and as a concept it is more artistic and ambitious. I also see an aggressive/raw side of ELP that's not that apparent on previous albums. So, for the strong concept and the fantastic "Karn Evil 9" (suite) I think it definitely deserves four strong stars! 4,5.
1971 | 4/5 |