Mike Oldfield - The Platinum Collection CD (album) cover

Mike Oldfield

2 stars If you're hoping to find an easy way out when exploring the progressive world of Mike Oldfield, I must disappoint you. There isn't! You just have to go out and buy the studio albums (I think the reviews on this site will give a good clue about which to buy and which to avoid). However, learning M.O. on your own (the hard way), without the guidance of reviews, is a rollercoaster ride! You will be deeply disappointed at times. Anyway, I find this a rather strange collection. The 12" versions of the the 80's pop songs is just too much. I mean, do you need an extended version of "Islands" with Bonnie Tyler on vocals? Or maybe a club-version of "Earth Moving"? I didn't think so. For the average pop/rock listener this might be a nice discovery, I don't know. Serious proggers - Stay away!

1971 | 2/5 |