Frank Zappa - Hot Rats CD (album) cover

HOT RATS

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

belz
5 stars 4.5/5.0 Now this is serious! Before listening to "Hot Rats" I used to think "The Grand Wazoo" was Zappa's greatest achievement. My bad, this album rocks! Quite everything on Hot Rats is great: from the soft and harmonic melody on "Peaches En Regalia" to the wild and intriguous foggy-jazz atmosphere on "Little Umbrellas" or the frenetic guitar on "The Gumbo Variations" and the vocals on "Willie The Pimp"!

The only reason I don't give a higher rating is only because at some point "The Gumbo Variations" could have been a bit shorter. But this is not a big problem; this album offers an easy listening, is intense, emotional, and is clearly my idea of what jazz-fusion is or should be. Half way between essential and a masterpiece. 4.5/5.0

belz | 5/5 |