Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase CD (album) cover

4 stars Ok, I admit it, I'm a sucker for long songs. With 4 songs in 64min, you get your money's worth here. However long songs alone do not always mean there's coherent songwriting. Thankfully the music presented here is utterly fantastic. The songs are epic for more reasons than just their track times. Each song evokes an emotional trip through a dark and somewhat depressing realm with little to be found as uplifting. At times it reminds me of older Genesis and King Crimson material; but at the same time it sounds nothing like either of them. I wouldn't say the music is as intricate or as complex as other symphonic prog luminariers. Instead the music is very true to the atmosphere and the instrumentation varies enough to never become tired or redundant. The vocals are at times quite sinister and tormented sounding. No growling or snarling, just darkly passionate in tone. The delivery of the music is just fantastic. I've hardly been able to pry myself away from this CD since I bought it a month ago. My only complaint is that the bass is mixed a bit too strong on this recording.
adigitaldan | 4/5 |