Santana - Beyond Appearances CD (album) cover

Santana

Anthony H.
1 stars Santana: Beyond Appearances [1985]

Rating: 1/10

Most serious music fans have either an ambivalent or contentious relationship with overtly-commercial radio-friendly pop music. If music is a large part of a person's life, they are likely to dismiss most mainstream pop; after all, the majority of it is designed for people who don't really like real music very much. However, even a pompous progressive-rock fan such as me is able to recognize a decent pop song when it comes around. For the most part, though, I maintain a fragile apathy towards commercial music. Albums like Beyond Appearances shake that apathy. It's quite tragic to witness a band that was once progressive and sophisticated turn into an utter creative wasteland.

"Band" is a rather unfair term to use, though, considering that Carlos is the only link between this album and the previous Santana releases. After listening to these eleven painful tracks, it's quite easy for me to understand why the previous lineups chose to jump ship. Beyond Appearances shows Carlos fully and lovingly embracing the commercial forces of the 1980s music industry. This album is completely devoid of any sort of artistic integrity or musical creativity. It is a farcical cash-in that bears no resemblance whatsoever to the incredible music that Carlos was once involved with.

The music itself is bland radio pop "rock" with preprogrammed drum beats and lifeless synth lines galore. I am unable to comment on the musicianship, because there isn't any. Everything sounds like it came out of a computer. These songs are artificial, bland, lifeless, sterile? I need no more synonyms. This is a disgraceful album that I hardly even want to write about. I simply want to add another one-star review in order to further reinforce what a pile of trite garbage it is.

Anthony H. | 1/5 |