Malleus - Paranorm - Opera Totale CD (album) cover

Rock Progressivo Italiano

4 stars A rather beautiful orchestral suite, no lyrics, just ebbs and flows like an opera accompanied by female voices and a spiritual feeling. Quite an obscurity on here, and I suppose it's not to everyone's tastes, as the prog rock side of the album takes a while to develop, initially from simple nature sounds then through bursts of dissonance laced drums, church bells, cries, chants, trickling water, etc. It's a very varied piece. Didn't set my world on fire the first time, but with some patience, I really have come to enjoy this album a lot.

Also, as a 47 minute epic, you could do a lot worse.

Renkls | 4/5 |