Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

2 stars Dear God & all the VdGG admirers, please forgive me for what I am going to do right now ..

I have an odd and rationally inexplicable relationship with two singers who are classified at Prog Archives as "eclectic prog". One of them would be, appropriately for this review, Mr. Peter Hammill (the other one being Ms. Björk). It's like a musical equivalent of scab picking.

I know from experience that within 10 minutes of my listening to either of these singers my blood begins to simmer with indignation. Yet, once in every few months I pull them out and give them a spin .. Invariably with the same predictable result.

VdGG are actually not so bad as a band. With a little tailwind many of their songs could hit the the solid 3.0-3.5 star range. I'd even say this: If King Crimson, Yes, Genesis and a few other true giants of the genre had not accomplished the "prog" revolution of the late 1960s - early 1970s, the 1975 Godbluff might even have passed for an innovative work. Might have, if ..

Enter Mr. Hammill, with his peculiar vocal demeanor ("peculiar" as in grotesquely farcical, pretentious and completely dissociated from what the band is trying to play), and thus the song/album mutates into a confused bungle. 1-1/2 stars, rounded up to 2.

Argonaught | 2/5 |