Burnin' Red Ivanhoe - W.W.W. CD (album) cover

W.W.W.

Burnin' Red Ivanhoe

tone
4 stars Although my compatriot Jimbo has an extensive taste in Scandinavian music which staggers me, I feel I must provide him with the missing half point that eluded him in this review. It's true that W.Ww.W. isn' BRI's most tightly woven track on this far more laid-back album. It is atmospheric and haunting, evolving slowly with maybe a surfeit of aural experimentation. But isn't that what they do so well, and we like so much? It also provides a stark relief rom the stridency of the previous track. It too shocked me in the silence of its ambient beginning on hearing it again this month, after a lapse of 30 over years...

But as his list of Favourite Albums proves, good music has to be worked upon to reveal true quality (Coltrane Davis and others). Please take a large cup of tea, or better still a glass of cold sahti (something also to be worked upon to appreciate), and listen again.

tone | 4/5 |