The Flower Kings - Banks Of Eden CD (album) cover

BANKS OF EDEN

The Flower Kings

sussexbowler
2 stars I've listened, and I've listened, and I've listened to this album... and STILL I'm not greatly impressed.

I try to work out exactly why. Maybe it's the lack of keyboards in front of the sound. Maybe.

There have been earlier TFK albums which I've equally struggled to warm to (probably all the nineties albums except 'Back in the World of new adventures'.) I suppose that the 'Banks of Eden' is in the same category as those.

I really enjoyed 'Adam and Eve', 'Paradise hotel' and 'The sum of no evil', but of course the flow was then broken by the temporary split. For me, it hasn't benefitted them.

In fact, I would have tentatively suggested that TFK had become the No.1 Symphonic prog band in the World... Sadly, being in that position no longer guarantees you the riches once enjoyed by their predecessors of thirty years before...

The band sounds less like a band, and more like Roine Stolt's own vehicle. Whilst being in a band must be wearing, once people leave to join up with other musicians there SURELY has to be a leakage of ideas and creativity.

Quite frankly, I would have started the album with track 3, 'Pandemonium'. It sets the right precedent. it's a more solid sounding TFK track than all the others. The long track (Numbers), eventually reaches its crescendo, but it seems painfully long-winded in getting there.

For me at least, It all adds up to a disappointing new album, and all the more so after the territory that they had reached with their previous three albums.

sussexbowler | 2/5 |