Pat Metheny - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls (with Lyle Mays) CD (album) cover

Pat Metheny

Eetu Pellonpaa
3 stars This is perhaps the most "prog oriented" album by Pat Metheny which I have heard yet. The long title track has lots of synthesizers, calm atmospheres, sound effects and beautiful both chords and melodies. The best song of this album in my opinion is "September Fifteenth", which is the day when Bill Evans died, and to whom this song is dedicated to. Realizing this made the song more touching to me, as I liked Bill's classical influenced jazz music lots. Lyle does some fine quotations of his playing style on piano, and Pat's acoustic guitar sounds just so fine. Actually, I think it sounds much better than most of his synth-oriented stuff, I think it's a shame he doesn't do more acoustic material! I didn't like the other songs that much, but they are fine still. "Ozark" and "It's for You" are happy acoustic tunes, and short "Estupenda Graša" is a small emotional moment accompanied with singing. This is an album worth of checking out, I guess its value depends much on the tastes of the listener.
Eetu Pellonpaa | 3/5 |