Rinse. Repeat. - Spin Cycle CD (album) cover

Rinse. Repeat.

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Rivertree
Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
3 stars I assure that this review is not related to shampoo instructions, washing machine promotion or something like that, please stay ... I'm writing about a New Jersey based band which has thrown an interesting debut on the market in 2011, it's called 'Spin Cycle'. Well, this caught my attention due to a favourable blend of (maybe old-fashioned) space rock attitude and (surely new-fashioned) electronica flair. Now that should satisfy the requirements of a first overview. Justin Strollo (guitar, synth) and Paul Agemian (programming), almost representing both poles I assume, eventually converged by coming up to a musical home together.

The cover art speaks for itself, you know ... this has a bit of Mandelbrot fractals which are often pointing to cosmic affairs. Six songs are given here offering real potential. Drums seem to be electronically produced in most parts, which is a minus for me as a (sorry ... maybe old-fashioned) space rock lover. There's also some dub and ethno/world feeling to detect, open-minded trip hop/drum & bass fans will find a home here too. As for that I would call up SeaSky especially due to some additional krautrock appeal (if ever intended).

They reach the peak towards the end - one track crosses the ten minute line, emerges to my highlight - Zoombiance - a wonderful floating piece, enriched with recitative samples. Justin's guitar playing is excellent (as usual), ranging from hallucinatory to metal sentiment. Brainchild is in no way inferior - a spacey/ambient relaxed outfit, although contrasting with a heavily shredding guitar in between. 3.5 stars - 'Spin Cycle' appears as a promising debut album - forward march into the laundry room!

Rivertree | 3/5 |