Rufus Zuphall - Phallobst CD (album) cover

Rufus Zuphall

Eetu Pellonpaa
4 stars The second album by this sadly too unknown German band isn't as good as their first "WeisŖ Der Teufel" record, but it's still a worthy bargain. The sound is bit different, as the bass player has been changed, and there's a second guitarist introduced to the band. "Closing Time" is a good psych rock, with funny sounding vocals, as they have been sung very quietly and calmly over a loud rock'n'roll song about "a merchant selling peace". "Waste Land" is also a track worth to mention, a slow minor ballad with haunting flutes. Some of these melody lines resemble some old cradle songs I think? "Portland Town" is a great arrangement of a traditional folk song, now played with mellotrons and heavy guitar riffs. All other songs are also OK, but they are not maybe as raw and innovative as their earlier material. But I consider this yet a very recommendable album. I had my vinyl copy from "Avalon and On" box set, which also has the live tracks released with the reissue CD.
Eetu Pellonpaa | 4/5 |