Anderson Bruford Wakeman  Howe - Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe CD (album) cover

ANDERSON, BRUFORD, WAKEMAN, HOWE

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

chopper
3 stars Is this the great lost Yes album? Well, it's a Yes album in all but name and has all the usual ingredients in the multi-part songs and the Roger Dean cover. I read at the time they were going to call themselves "The Affirmative", which would have been much better. Of course, Chris Squire is not here so we don't get the crunching bass lines, but if you have to replace Squire, then Tony Levin is not a bad choice.

"Themes" starts off with a piano riff, then there is a slight surprise when Bruford's drums burst in - he has that electronic drum sound which may put some people off this album. "Brother of Mine" is a good number which I remember hearing on the radio at the time. "Birthright" strangely turned up again a few years later as part of a Steve Howe song from "Homebrew" (and Yes' "Friends And Relatives") called "Red and White". "The Meeting" is a very nice Anderson/Wakeman number.

What can I say about "Teakbois"? - I'd rather listen to "Circus of Heaven" than this horrible cod-calypso/reggae number. This one is best forgotten. "Order of the Universe" picks things up again and is one of the best numbers here. "Let's pretend" is short, gentle Anderson and acoustic guitar number.

Well, this isn't up to the level of classic Yes but should appeal to most fans, except perhaps the die-hard Squire fans. It has a gentler feel than some Yes albums and suffers a bit now due to the rather 1980s drum and keyboard sounds, I would rank this alongside "The Ladder" as a 3 star "Yes" album.

chopper | 3/5 |