Yes - Fragile CD (album) cover

FRAGILE

Analog_Kid
5 stars This was my introduction to Yes (and, now I think about it, Prog in general) and what an introduction it was! Yes' symphonic nature comes to the fore with Wakeman's arrival, especially on South Side... and Heart of the Sunrise.

Every member shines on this album - in particular, Chris Squire's bass tremble has reached new heights (or depths I suppose). Compared to the previous album, every performance seems a little more mature (although as a result, perhaps lacking a little energy-wise), and the song-writing is tighter, yet more creative.

As for the members' individual slots, all are just that - very individual - but help the album to flow throughout. Highlights are Steve's brilliant Mood For A Day and Chris' Fish - both really push the limits of their respective insruments. Bruford's very short offering is somewhat bizarre and almost pointless, but does show his jazz/fusion tendencies.

Finally a word about (in my opinion of course) Yes' finest effort: from Howe's beautiful acoustic guitar intro to its stupidly catchy chorus to Wakeman's almost Jon Lord-worthy organ solo, Roundabout essentially defines Yes for me in a nutshell. By this album, even for just this song!

Analog_Kid | 5/5 |