Gong - Wingful of Eyes CD (album) cover

Canterbury Scene

2 stars Loving the Flying Teapot series, I've thought for a long time about seeing what the post-Daevid Allen music was like. Luckily I found this "sampler" for just 7 quid which actually has about 2/3 of each of the next 3 Gong albums.

Consensus? Pretty good, but sadly lacking what made Gong great - crazy words and crazy stories and Steve Hillage's guitar. The music's good, but it's annoying when there's next to no singing. Some of the music - especially the sax and glockenspiel - reflect some of the old madness, but it's a bit too much like modern jazz for me.

I won't be buying the other albums, but don't let me put you off - if you are in the same situation as me and you see it cheap, by all means try it...

PinkPangolin | 2/5 |