Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Watch  CD (album) cover

Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Frankie Flowers
4 stars For me 'Watch' more or less ties with Manfred Mann's classic 'Roaring Silence' with its just as consistently vibrant and dynamic songs. It did sometimes get fewer raves than its predecessor, and unjustly so. It is indeed a much more commercial sounding effort with songs that are easy to get into, but like before there are plenty of crafty changes in style. "Circles" is a splendid opener, very much in the usual Earth Band style and halfway through it echos some mid-70's Kansas. "Drowning On Dry Land" is one personal favourite, with an acoustic verse paired with keyboards and Thompson's glorious vocals. I love the way the tune cuts into a clever lead guitar passage. Another favourite on this album follows called "Chicago Institute". This is a lot more funkier and uptempo. "California" is a lovely ballad that softens things up at the right point. I mentioned Thompson's voice earlier. Well, I do think he excelled to some of his finest moments here. "Martha's Madman" towards the end is also a great track. The lyrics are interesting too. Four stars.
Frankie Flowers | 4/5 |