Porcupine Tree - In Absentia CD (album) cover

IN ABSENTIA

Porcupine Tree

PinkPangolin
5 stars Run out of Pink Floyd albums? Wondering what could have been had they carried on? You wouldn't be far wrong in trying Porcupine Tree - and I'm stll wondering why they aren't huge - I mean they are way way better than Coldplay, Oasis and all those that do well. It's incomprehensible. Prog rock, creative rock, atmospheric rock with a bit of metal thrown in - who really cares? They just truly are a great band.

If you are a Floyd fan trying PT for the first time. maybe I wouldn't start with this - try The Sky Moves Sideways or one of their other earlier ones - but having heard that then move onto this or Deadwing (I like Deadwing slightly more, as it is a bit more eclectic from track to track).

I was thinking of giving this 4 stars, but I've decided on 5 'cos all the tracks are really really good - the best for me are 'Trains' (sounds a little Jethro Tull like), and .3. "Strip the Soul" is a good one to play for younger ones who like bass and metal - it might just get them into it.

All the old atmospheres are still there, but it's a little heavier. Best is the drumming, singing (Wilson does have a good voice), and the guitar work is great (I wish there were a couple more rousing solos).

PinkPangolin | 5/5 |