TEE (The Earth Explorer') - Trans Europe Expression CD (album) cover

TRANS EUROPE EXPRESSION

TEE (The Earth Explorer')

Rivertree
Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
3 stars I'm aware of many Japanese psych and avant bands, neo respectively symphonic prog oriented groups deriving from this country are - for what I know - rarely given though. Their albums are named analogous to the band initials TEE, and this time the context has something to do with a journey across Europe - probably imaginary anyhow - while missing any lyrics in order to prove that. Some song titles and especially the cover picture is indicative due to a very nice view of Gordes situated at the French Riviera.

And so the opener Stromboli is referring to another place more southward, an island including a dormant volcano near Sicilia/Italy. Contradictive, the beautiful nature here, the menacing danger there. Dramatic moments are set to music for sure, represented by the piano and a stoical bass, but the flute comes that lovely on the other hand. Including female backing vocals the sophisticated Intersection marks one highlight. I would also count the extended Gordes featuring marching drums, dramatic organ representing some severe moments, where duelling guitar and flute backed by an uptempo groove are leading into a more happily mooded atmosphere later.

Neo/symphonic prog music featuring a jazzy note - now this means an aesthetic album, consisting of proper musicianship and smooth compositions. Curious - in case of missing any informations about this outfit while listening, I never ever would expect to hear a Japanese band playing. According to my taste 'Trans Europe Expression' comes a bit innocent, I'm missing some roughness, edges, surprises here and there in order to rate this essential in the end. Certainly a nice effort, first and foremost dedicated to adult prog gourmets.

Rivertree | 3/5 |