The Arthur Brown Band - The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown  CD (album) cover

THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN

The Arthur Brown Band

Proto-Prog

thellama73
4 stars I dearly love this album, but it does have some serious flaws. The Great Spontaneous Apple Creation, Rest Cure, and I've Got Money are all really bad, and it seems as though Brown was struggling to find enough material to fill the record.

However, side one is beyond reproach. This crazy, fire, orchestral suite of songs will take you to places you've never been before. I can't even imagine what it would be like on drugs. The album closer, Child of My Kingdom sounds like it belongs here as well, and the cover of I Put A Spell on You is, in my opinion, definitive.

Throughout the record we are treated to the amazing playing of organist Vincent Crane, whose compositional assistance and technical virtuosity are what make this album shine far brighter than anything Brown has attempted since. Essential? No. But certainly a treat for the ears, especially if you like dark psych rock.

thellama73 | 4/5 |