Centric Jones - The Antikythera Method CD (album) cover

THE ANTIKYTHERA METHOD

Centric Jones

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Formentera Lady
4 stars The first time I heard a song from this for me totally unknown artist was on a prog rock radio. The title was 'Boomer'. It immediately gripped my attention because it had a strong crimsonesque feel about it (sorry that I compare everything with King Crimson, I am simply a hopeless KC fan). I had to get that album, and I was right, there are a few more songs with this crimsonesque feel. Also 'All For One' and 'Antikythera Mechanism' are examples. I mean especially the dark sounds, the mellotron, the powerful riffs, a Fripp-like guitar, a Bruford-like drumming, and a bit jazzy mood, that was also typical for early King Crimson.

But not only that. Additionally, this album offers a variety of tempo and dynamics, a lot of piano, synths, a few discreet organ solos, acoustical and non-distorted electrical guitars playing broken chords with a playful bass in mysterious chord progressions, that create sound tapestries, over which hovers now and then a smooth female voice.

Also a big influence of Yes can be heard, and not only be seen in their choice of cover art. Consequently, 'Then' is a reinterpretation of the Yes song on 'Time And A Word'.

A great release and probably my favourite album of 2012.

Formentera Lady | 4/5 |