Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings CD (album) cover

SPECTRAL MORNINGS

Steve Hackett

RaślGuate
4 stars Is this the last masterpiece of the Classic-Prog period (in the strict meaning of the term)? Probably it is.

Here we get the most likely example of what Genesis' music would've been if Hackett would've stayed with the band. Even so, we should face the facts, and not mourn his leaving of Genesis. Here he delivers us a masterpiece of prog which should erase all the wounds Genesis (and other classic prog bands) were making at that time.

About the music, this album covers a great range of styles: straight-forward rock, acoustic-classic, metal (listen to the first part of Tigermoth), rag-time, classic prog and oriental. All of these styles are developed quite well, and not superficially or in a mocking way. I even find the caribbean-tropical feeling of "The Ballad Of The Decomposing Man" quite interesting. This song even has some interesting lyics. It's a parody of a workaholic.

Masterpiece - essential.

Edit: down one star, because it's lost most of it's appeal. I haven't listened to it in ages. Final rating 4 stars

RaślGuate | 4/5 |