Porcupine Tree - Deadwing CD (album) cover

Porcupine Tree

PSIKE Team & Band Submissions
3 stars Nearly every PT output is skillful - and 'Deadwing' is no exception. I think it's really hard for the band to overtop albums like 'In Absentia' or 'Coma Divine'. The songs are heavier, more eclectic, less catchy and it needs more turnarounds to come in. But in the whole this production cannot catch me as much as some of the forerunners.

Deadwing is a very good opener with much power. Heavy riffs are alternating with a psychedelic interlude. But ballads like Lazarus or Glass arm shattering are not really groundbreaking - Open Car works much better for me. Halo has a good refrain for singing along and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here and Start of something beautiful are my highlights - diversified with metal and psych moments - very emotional and in the vein of the forerunner.

Great respect for PT's musicianship. For a summary a good album - but I prefer 'In Absentia' and the more psychedelic phase of the 90s - 3.5 stars.

Rivertree | 3/5 |