Crippled Black Phoenix - I, Vigilante CD (album) cover

I, VIGILANTE

Crippled Black Phoenix

Psychedelic/Space Rock

The Jester
4 stars >p> CBP was my new discovery some time ago, and I became very excited! Up to the point that I realised that I was probably one of the last ones to discover them! hehehe I have listened carefully 3 of their albums so far, (200 tons, I Vigilante, The Crafty Ape), and I have to say that 'I Vigilante' is their best effort so far! I can't put them under the Progressive Rock banner, but they are Progressive in their own way...

This record is filled with melancholia, with Pink Floyd-like guitars, and some very good melodies. The only exception that really surprised me was the last rack that has nothing to do with the rest songs of the album! But nothing! Is like they have added a song from another band! Further than this, all the other songs are very nice songs, that I really enjoy every time I'm putting this album to listen. The 'hit' song here is 'We forgotten who we are' an 11 (almost) minutes melancholic tune, but the best moment for me is 'Fantastic Justice'. That song impressed me from the first listening, and is still my favorite. 'Bastogne Blues' is a simple anti-war ballad refering to the battle in the French town of Bastogne in the 2nd WW. (For the ones that doesn't know and want to learn, I strongly recommend the book or the TV series 'Band of Brothers'), and as for the cover version 'Of a lifetime' is surely a good one, but everytime I listen to it, I always put the original Journey's version afterwards...

In any case I surely recommend this album, especially to the younger Prog music fans, cause the sound will be closer to them, than the older ones... My Rating will be: 4 stars...

The Jester | 4/5 |