Haken - Visions CD (album) cover

VISIONS

Haken

Second Life Syndrome
5 stars Believe the hype! I was a little wary of this band because of their overnight popularity, but upon the purchase of this album, I have fallen in love with their style. This band seamlessly integrates many styles---from pseudo-death metal to big band music. The result is soul satisfying and very unique.

I have to be honest---on my first listen to this album, I was a little taken aback by the quirky parts of the album (especially the maniacal parts in the 20+ epic, Visions), but since then I have not been able to go a day without listening to this amazing album! I am no musical expert (though I am extremely passionate about progressive music), so I cannot tell you all the technical aspects of why this album sounds so good and strikes so deeply within me. All I can tell you in that this album's smooth, epic, psychedelic sound is soothing and exciting at the same time. I get the urge to brood and head-bang at the same time. Also, this album's story about visions, death, and insanity (?) are so compelling that I will be listening again and again till I figure out the very depths of this story.

This album was one of the best of 2011, and I am certainly glad that I gave it a chance. The complexity inherent in this band's music makes me excited for what they will offer us in the future.

Second Life Syndrome | 5/5 |