Sun Caged - The Lotus Effect CD (album) cover

THE LOTUS EFFECT

Sun Caged

Second Life Syndrome
5 stars Amazing. Fantastic. Spellbinding. No matter what word I use, it does not adequately define this album. This was the first album from Sun Caged that I had ever heard, and I have been completely floored by them! Honestly, the album artwork is a little strange for my tastes, and I actually let it deter me for a while. Yet, the fantastic mix of heavy riffing, technical but not over-powering drums, melodic and epic keyboards, and absolutely unbeatable vocals is difficult to beat---I am so glad that I finally gave it a chance. There is a certain something that this band has---something that I cannot put my finger on---that just sounds so fresh and unique.

My personal favorites are "Shades of Hades" and "The 8 Auspicious Symbols" (the last 8 tracks on this album which are actually a 24 minute song). Every song---and I mean every---on this album is a master work. I especially love how the vocalist pieces together the lyrics----just expert in every sense of the word. I'm also a big fan of the keyboards, especially in track "Pareidolized".

I have read some reviews that claim that the music in the first few tracks is jumbled or incoherent, but I am not quite sure what they mean. This is a progressive metal album, and if the heaviness is too much (though it isn't that heavy), I suggest one should switch genres. The first track, "Seamripper" features some amazing drum work that could be a little overbearing, but the melody of the music and the vocals easily balances this. As it is, this album features a myriad of tempo changes, harmonizing vocals, crunching guitars as well as well-done solos, audible rhythmic bass, and keyboards that provide an amazing atmosphere and vibe. Add to this a brainy theme of using scientific terms to discuss human mortality and depravity, and you have an album that deserves some recognition.

Second Life Syndrome | 5/5 |