Beyond Twilight - For The Love Of Art And The Making CD (album) cover

Beyond Twilight

5 stars Truth is...regardless of how much showing off this band does on this album, this is freakin' amazing stuff!! Mindblowing.

Numerous themes and styles are introduced on the album. Hundreds and hundreds of them. This is one of the most diverse, innovative and complicated albums I've ever listened to. The album is about 38 minutes long, if this disc was near the 60-70 minutes like many other prog albums are I'm not sure that people would be able to digest it. To really give a full description of this album is something that could take years. Usually I don't like full lengths that are short, but this is for sure a good thing in this instance. The band hit you from all angles with their own style of haunting, very dark, progressive metal. They don't sound like any other but if I should try to desribe it - Imagine a mix of Symphony X, Dream Theater, Dimmu Borgir, Pain Of Salvation and Opeth. It is melodic, dark and symphonic but also brutally heavy at times. And yet mixed with the metal is some of the best keyboard work you'll find on a metal album. It is haunting.

Lyrics and music play important role to the album that is written like a puzzle. The concept is deep and takes a great deal of time to understand. No matter, when listening to this disc, the band impresses on all fronts. I'm sure I didn't even touch on 1% of what you'll find on this masterpiece.

Also impressive is the packaging, the artwork and production. Fans of the 2 previous releases will once again get surprised. Mastermind Finn Zierler is once again showing he is one of the greatest composers and keyboard players in progressive metal. A genious, his visions with Beyond Twilight couldn't be any clearer. A band that simply dominates their style!

darklord | 5/5 |