Captain Beefheart - Doc At The Radar Station CD (album) cover

Captain Beefheart

4 stars Beatnik-Prog. BOOM! BOP! PING! Manic is the message. Music is the king. Long live the king! Orcus is back for another stint just to say that THIS is the album that started it all for him. The album that led to his desire for more alternatives to the normal radio sounds, thanks to a friend. Alternatives like Tom Waits, the Fugs, the Mothers of Invention, Flux of Pink Indians and so on and so forth. As this album goes, "A Carrot Is as Close as a Rabbit Gets to a Diamond," "Dirty Blue Gene" and "Making Love to a Vampire With a Monkey on My Knee" are the best anthems. Not that the other tunes aren't worth listening to, just not as much. But why do I need to explain myself. Just listen. Music was made for just that. Well, that and to be seductive. And nothing screams seduction like a scratchy voice backed by a clash of instruments. Just ask my wife of thirty-some years. She still talks about the first concert we ever went to: Uriah Heep. Old, I know, but I keep her young. Pish posh with the nostalgia! Orcus must listen to more music. NEWER music. He must TAME the beast, his wife. Not a beast of burden, mind you. A wondrous beast that ten thousand angels wish they could be. Damn the sentimentality! Damn it all to hell! For that's where all the fun is. Soon Orcus will find himself there with a monkey on HIS knee. Here's hoping the same happens for you.
tehdevilsritehand | 4/5 |