Ian Anderson - Thick As A Brick 2: Whatever Happened To Gerald Bostock? CD (album) cover

THICK AS A BRICK 2: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO GERALD BOSTOCK?

Ian Anderson

Prog Folk

Menswear
5 stars Didn't saw that one coming!

I frankly wasn't expecting something like this: to give a suite to (maybe) the greatest progressive rock album of all time. Some tried to give a second life to a majestic album, and who could blame them for rolling the dice again? We can think of In The Wake of Poseidon by King Crimson (the Good), Ocean II by Eloy (the Bad) or Metallica with their Unforgiven tracks (theUgly).

So, if Thick as Brick didn't exist, would that album be good?

Yes, and how.

Anderson won the incredible bet of giving a brother to his magnum opus; it's good and it's solid. The spectacular team of Steven Wilson and Derek Shulman is giving us impeccable sound, crisp and clear rendition of the 70's. It's not just playing old school with vintage instruments, you have to capture it correctly!

Excellent poems by Anderson. Some are regretting his past vocal chords abilities, I don't. He's still an excellent singer with a warm tone and perfect phrasing. He even winks at times at old classics like Aqualung or a Passion Play. Well done! It was probably not easy to invent a life for our pal Bostock, but by Jove, he did it!

The best thing is to listen to it and judge for yourself. On the other hand, you hardly can't bitch about it because the whole thing has clearly been well-thought and meditated. So if you're a fan of the first, please listen to this one. It could be your newest baby for a while.

What ifs, maybes and migh-have-beens...why-nots, perhaps and wait-and-sees.

Menswear | 5/5 |