Nichelodeon - No CD (album) cover

Nichelodeon

RIO/Avant-Prog

Mellotron Storm
3 stars This is NICHELODEON's most recent release, a live 28 minute EP. All these tracks can be found on their only studio album to date released in 2010. It's weird but I much prefer that studio album to either of their live EPs. Maybe things just get translated better to me by this band in the studio, I don't know.

"Fame" has a nice heavy sound with vocals. A calm before 3 minutes with percussion and sax then the vocals return with piano and more to end it. "Fiaba" is a top two song for me. This is mellow with reserved vocals until it turns fuller before 3 minutes. This sounds great ! It's intense and dissonant after 4 1/2 minutes. More intensity with atmosphere 6 minutes in. Killer tune. "Malamore E La Luna" has theatrical vocals and piano standing out early. It turns mellow a minute in as contrasts continue.

"Apnea" is fairly heavy with vocals. Dissonance follows until before 2 1/2 minutes when it kicks back in with vocals. A calm 4 minutes in with vocals. "Claustrofilia" is my other top two. It's laid back with piano then the vocals arrive before 2 minutes with horns as it stays laid back. It kicks in before 4 1/2 minutes. Great sound !

A good album no doubt but i'll stick with the studio record.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |