Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard CD (album) cover

THE UNDERFALL YARD

Big Big Train

AEProgman
3 stars Starts stronger than it finishes.

I am not very familiar with the band, but I do also own "The Difference Machine" album. They are excellent muscians and their music does qualify them in the prog world. The Underfall Yard is a good album and I would get it again, but it tends to leave me a little flat at times.

Evening Star - This has a very classical choral sound that in a way reminds of a Beatle/Proto-Kaw mix. It works for me.

Master James of St. George - This song is very Yes influenced and at the end sounds like the ending of Hearts of the Sunrise. The Sharp.....Distance.....section. It is good regardless.

Victorin Brickwork - A very nice mix of symphonic prog and excellent trumpet work that is not over powering, but is blended in perfectly.

Last Train - Appears to me like an 80's Genesis Prog-Pop song. Just OK.

Winchester Diver - Slow tune that also has that 80's Genesis feel. The lyrics are very good, but the melody, or lack there of, is not memorable. Another OK.

Underfall Yard - This is the album epic, as mentioned before, excellent muscians and this song does have some good moments but it just does not there for me. If I were to rate it, the rating is 3.

Overall, a solid album and I give it a 3.

AEProgman