Sean Filkins - War And Peace & Other Short Stories CD (album) cover

Sean Filkins

4 stars I can definitely hear some sounds of Big Big Train's "Gathering Speed" here but I reckon that probably owes a lot to the fact that Sean Filkins took the microphone on that album for the masters of prog from Bournemouth. For this one, his first solo album, Sean Filkins (with a little help from his friends) has really nailed it here. I've played the album several times since I bought it on Sean's website and while "Epitaph for a Mariner" is the centrepiece, its an album that I play in its entirety from start to finish. I don't pick and choose individual tracks like I would with some other albums. I know I'll keep returning to this album repeatedly in the years to come. Congrats Sean, hope you follow "War and Peace and Other Short Stories" with something equally as rich and pleasing.
Driver | 4/5 |