Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

4 stars 4.3 An excellent addition, but I don’t consider it essential.

This is a very odd recording, very dark and capable of creating great conflict in the opinions of the prog listener. That must mean something?

I consider this album an important part of my currently humble collection, as some sections of the piece are ear spinningly brilliant, contrasting moods with great intelligence, not mentioning the lyrics. However, much of the album sounds the same, especially parts of ‘Lemmings’ and ‘Man-Erg’, suggesting a lack of ideas. ‘A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers’ is generally well crafted, although slightly detached.

This has really stumped me, as the music is one of a kind, extremely interesting while lacking intricacy and no real climax. Perhaps the album is essential just for this? It is essential that you listen to this, but whether it so as an addition I cannot say. I am extremely close to giving this a five star rating…a truly baffling experience.

ProgHappy | 4/5 |