Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory CD (album) cover

METROPOLIS PART 2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY

Dream Theater

OpethGuitarist
2 stars This album is exactly what 2 stars represents. Fans only. If you are a big fan of Dream Theater, than you will find that this album fits in very nicely with your collection. However, this album lacks any real substance for me and a general public.

I think they tried to do too much. They tried too hard. If that's even possible. This album for me highlights for me what Dream Theater is about. 5 musicians who all do their own thing, and though they are all respected in their specific fields, they fail at coming together to make a solid band. Images and Words and Awake are the strong points for this band. They meshed together best on these albums.

Scenes is a great example of how they failed to come together. If you let these guys do what they want, you'd have 5 soloists. To me this album seems like 5 guys having fun with their instruments. There's nothing wrong with that, as I too do enjoy noodling every now and then. However it isn't very good for listeners who want repeated enjoyable listens and real substance and depth.

OpethGuitarist | 2/5 |