Magma - Retrospekt´ẁ I-II CD (album) cover

Magma

Zeuhl

AEProgman
3 stars Surprised!

I had $2.03 left on a gift card from a MP3 download site and this album was there for $2.00. I had not listened to any Zuehl before and so I thought what do I have to lose. I must admit that after reading the definition of Zuehl in the PA sub-genre section, I was prepared to give it a 1 star before I even listened to it as it did not sound like it would be my cup of tea, but kept an open mind.

I was surprised by the instrumentation and its similar elements of Jazz/Fusion, as well as the muscianship of the members. The gurgling, throbbing bass is interesting concept throughout the two song live album. I tend to like MŰkan´k DŰstrukt´ẁ K÷mmand÷h better than the first song. Both songs grow on me each time I listen.

The vocals are the hardest part for me to warm up to and is the main thing that will hold my rating back. Considering where I thought I would rate compared to what I will rate it at is actually good. Also, I do not know enough Masterpieces in this genre to compare it to.

I still give this a 3 Star rating. Can't beat that for $2.00.

AEProgman