Weather Report - Sweetnighter CD (album) cover

SWEETNIGHTER

Weather Report

Rivertree
Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
5 stars Normally it's a duty for me using electric guitars for producing good Fusion music - but WEATHER REPORT is an exception. This music is unique and with nearly nothing to compare - produced with two different drummer and bass player. Nevertheless it is of great unity. First of all the strong drum/percussion section is remarkable which controls all the tracks. Andrew White is also adding a tremendous groove to the sound. Is it improvised or strictly composed? Hard to say. I can remember - long time ago - a friend of mine got this album in his collection. I was always curious for a chance to hear it because the music was so fascinating to me.

'Boogie woogie waltz', 'Manolete' and '125th street congress' are similar with the groove. A funky bass and the perfect rhythmic percussion are navigating the tracks. Wayne Shorter circles around like a butterfly with his sax. Joe Zawinul plays without competiton. 'Adios' and 'Will' are psychedelic a lot like a starship gliding through space and time.

'Sweetnighter' is a masterpiece of the fusion genre. I also recommend to check out 'Mysterious traveller' which is nearly on the same high standard.

Rivertree | 5/5 |