Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs CD (album) cover

DESERTER'S SONGS

Mercury Rev

Open-Mind
4 stars There are very few albums that can be called "a soundtrack of a lifetime". "Deserter's Songs" by Mercury Rev, wins this title easily about my own. An album who fits my life story like a glove, and manages to excite me every time. I must say that it is one of my best purchases of CD's that i did in the last month.

"Deserter's Song" is, by far, one of the most special & unique albums i've ever heard. The instruments (including ones that i never heard of before...) & the arrangements made on the album, gives a special atmosphere when listening to it, and some kind of entrance to a whole new world. Although some people would deny it's connection to prog music, but i simply disagree with that. there is some of the prog music in the album, and in my opinion every band that uses classic instruments, special techniques and generally - everything with is "outside of the box" is a progressive band, in a way.

I've got two favorite tracks on this album: first, there's "Holes" - which is not very complicated, but there's a certain magic in the simplicity of this song. The other one is "Upos 40" - which is well produced & orchestrated. In my opinion, the last one is one of the best songs of Mercury Rev.

So, I will give this album 4 stars, because it's simply one of the best albums of the 90's.

Open-Mind | 4/5 |